Summary:
In his article, “Simulation Nation: The Promise of Virtual Learning Activities,” Marc Prensky begins by stating that simulation is a form of technology that is extremely valuable and important for teachers to be using in today’s classrooms in order to help their students understand the world around them, but that it’s just not happening. He then goes on to address issues about computer (and non-computer) simulation that some teachers may have about using it, including the fact that it is not a new idea (ie. imagining scenarios creatively is a form of simulation that teachers use in classrooms often), that it can be used to understand complex issues, and that it is real-world experience. Prensky then goes on to cite other examples of careers that use simulations (astronauts and pilots, medical students, etc), and that this kind of experience is valuable for students as well. He then gives some statistics and opinions about the lack of use of simulations in schools today, gives a list of things that might be barriers to schools using simulators: lack of money, time, teacher knowledge, and sharing amongst teachers. Prensky then addresses these barriers, and how he feels they could be eliminated. Comments:
I agree with Prensky’s assertion that simulations can be extremely valuable teaching tools, and that today’s world needs people who are prepared (through school) to use them. I also agree with the barriers he listed as being in the way of their use becoming commonplace. But while he listed the lack of money being an important barrier, I don’t feel he properly addressed the fact that most simulators (at least, that I know of) use computers, and that even if simulation programs were free for teachers to use (which is how he proposes getting around the lack of money), that doesn’t mean that the teacher would have computers to use them on, or enough computers for every students. He addresses (very briefly) the use of non-computer simulations, but I don’t really understand what he means by that, and he didn’t elaborate. I wish he had spent more time addressing the fact that many schools don’t use simulations simply because they don’t have the computers to use them on. Other than that, I agree with his premise that simulations are only going to become more common, and that teachers need to educate themselves on how to use them, and the myriad educational uses they have for their students.Prensky, M. (2007). Simulation nation: the promise of virtual learning activities.
Edutopia. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/simulation-nation
I know that my husband (a Naval flight Officer) has spent many hours using flight simulators…and he was very happy to recently have purchased Microsoft Flight Simulator for our computer.
ReplyDeleteI agree that money/number of computers could definitely interfere with their ability to integrate simulation programs into their curriculum.